In 1978, I graduated from the Hartford Art School with a BFA in art education. I was an artist. But not long after my graduation, I married a man who stripped me of that title…and gave me a new one. I was a victim of domestic violence – for what became 20 years of my life. And then there was so much post separation abuse - even weaponising my own children to destroy me.
During my marriage, I had no paints with which to paint…no clay with which to sculpt. I was prohibited from owning any art supplies. He threw everything out when I married him.
What I did have….were blunt head traumas, broken bones, and burst blood vessels.
Art was only in my past.
Until I escaped that abuse and obtained a divorce in 2005. But since fault and finances were bifurcated in court, and he was able to play the system….I was continuously in court until 2018. To this day, that awful man I had married still never obeyed the divorce settlement.
I moved to New Jersey in the midst of divorce court back in Westchester County New York….making New Jersey my new home. Hoping for a new beginning in life, I eventually rekindled my old relationship with clay – in the JCC’s clay studio.
As suggested by the director of the Rachel Coalition (an organization to aid victims of domestic violence) - Art was going to be part of my healing process…..
In 2009, someone saw my work in the clay studio and suggested I enter the Gaelen annual juried art show. I did not think I was “good enough” – but entered anyway. It felt like a coming out of sorts! My first step. The work I submitted was accepted in the juried show. Appropriately titled , “faces of freedom”, my work expressed much of my personal journey. I stood among so very many talented artists! It was amazing. And when it was announced at that show’s opening, that I had won first place for my sculpture entry – well, it literally brought me to tears.
It was not so much about winning – but about a new beginning for me. Eventually, I was asked to join the Gaalen Juried Art Show Committee. Through recognition and exposure, I was being given a chance to thrive. Not just survive. The Gaelens afforded me that chance. Their juried show gave me confidence to look ahead, move forward, and get my life on track. It helped me get through all the post separation abuse, the legal abuse, the financial abuse.
Just because you leave an abuser, the abuse doesn’t stop.
I came to NJ as a victim with a past. And I worked on myself to heal from so much trauma. Doing what I love - Art.
As new beginnings go, my road back started in 2009 with that first show and now includes over 100 juried shows that I have exhibited in. I have won international awards and been focused in art publications. Who knew?
With courage, inspiration, and confidence…today I can tell you…I have my old title back.
My website is www.JulieLevineFineArt.com
And⬇️
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063632944182


No comments:
Post a Comment